How to Handle Cravings in Gestational Diabetes
Why do cravings take place during Gestational Diabetes?
Due to the need to feed glucose to the growing baby, a
woman's body naturally modifies how it uses the insulin
generated during pregnancy and increases the sugar level in
her blood, which results in Gestational Diabetes. One may
experience extreme hunger and thirst as its symptoms.
However, one can handle the cravings by maintaining a
healthy diet with balanced nutrition.
Ideal food for Gestational Diabetes
Food items high in protein, fibre, vitamins, and healthy fat are
ideal for a person with gestational diabetes. These are -
- Fresh vegetables
- Eggs (whole or egg white)
- Whole grain bread
- Chicken & fish
- Sweet potato
- Fat-free dairy products
Avoid munching on unhealthy food
One might experience a solid want to continue eating. The
best solution to control this is by opting for healthy
alternatives such as-
- Go for at least 4-5 portions of fresh fruits every day.
- Replace cookies and cakes with nuts and seeds.
- Have an avocado or yoghurt when you urge to eat something
Foods which should be avoided during Gestational Diabetes
Eating foods high in carbohydrates should be avoided since
they raise the body's glucose level. Few such items are-
- Fried food
- Fast food
- A starchy food (white bread, white rice)
- Confectionery food items ( cakes, cookies, ice cream)
Other steps to follow
- Have three meals every day while maintaining the portion
- Avoid overeating.
- Be sure to eat all meals without skipping.
- Limit salt consumption as it elevates blood pressure.
- Practice safe exercise or walk for at least 30 minutes daily as it helps control the body's glucose level.